SFS KENYA: FUNDAMENTALS OF WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT (SUMMER I)
- Term: Summer Session I
- Credits: 4 semester-hour credits (8 credits if taken with Session II)
- Prerequisites: No course prerequisites: 18 years of age
- Application Deadline: Rolling admissions. Early applications encouraged
- Financial Aid: All accepted students can apply for need-based scholarships, grants, and loans
In this summer fundamentals course, the world-famous national parks and reserves of Kenya are your classrooms. Through safari drives, field excursions, and an emphasis on the human role, study wildlife found nowhere else on the planet. Discuss different approaches to wildlife management and conservation, and learn about traditional knowledge and culture from Maasai and other community groups.
- Embark on a multi-day expedition to Amboseli National Park, based in the foothills of Mt. Kilimanjaro, and observe wildlife behavior, practice species ID, and collect ecological data.
- Learn about both the private and community wildlife sanctuaries evolving in Amboseli and Maasai Mara lands, as well as the resource conservation critical to the wildlife that live there.
The Center lies in the heart of Kenya’s Rift Valley, nestled between three world-famous national parks. The snow-capped peak of Mt. Kilimanjaro towers over miles of savanna, replete with a diversity of wildlife. Students and staff live on a sprawling, grassy campus made up of traditional thatched bandas (cabins) and a central chumba (main building), just down the road from the small town of Kimana.
Take back-to-back summer sessions and get the hands-on learning and skill-building experiences of an internship, while also going off the beaten path and exploring the world. Each summer session focuses on a different topic, and you’ll have time to travel independently between sessions. Receive a $1,000 discount on your second session.
CONNECT WITH SFS
Visit the SFS website
Call the Admissions Hotline at 800.989.4418
Read updates from the field on the SFS Blog
Follow SFS on Instagram
Watch student videos on YouTube