Bring your beginner to intermediate Spanish language skills to Santiago de los Caballeros and immerse yourself in Dominican university life at our partner school, Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra (PUCMM). After your required Spanish language course, choose from courses in English, from PUCMM’s four academic schools: Social Sciences and Administration; Science and Humanities; Engineering Sciences; and Health Sciences. Classroom instruction is supplemented with educational excursions throughout the country, local activities, and rural and urban volunteer opportunities to increase intercultural understanding.
the great outdoors in the central mountains of the Cibao region, visit the Samaná Peninsula or Montecristi.
STROLL THROUGH THE MUSEUMS
of Santo Domingo, the capital of the D.R.
SEE THE HAITIAN/DOMINICAN BORDER
and a UNESCO World Heritage site
Excursions & Activities
- Go on a weekend trip to the growing eco-paradise that is the Samaná Peninsula and Los Haitises National Park.
- Visit Santo Domingo and its Zona Colonial including the first Cathedral of the Americas.
- Embark on day trips to explore the Hermanas Mirabal Museum in Salcedo; the town of La Vega during Carnaval season; the market-town of Dajabón on the Haitian-Dominican border, and the Centro Leon Museum in Santiago.
- Depending on the courses you take, visit agricultural and industrial projects, free trade zones, a Dominican tobacco company, other local museums, clinics, schools, or nonprofit organizations.
Volunteering. Help out at a local school, orphanage, or home for mentally or physically challenged children. Twice a semester, you'll also do service work in a rural community alongside locals.
- Some meals
- Orientation conducted in Santiago and lasting approximately one week
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Cultural and/or Co-curricular Activities
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Academic Year||2021-2022||05/01/2021 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
|Fall||2021||05/01/2021 **||Rolling Admission||08/25/2021||12/09/2021|
|Spring||2022||12/01/2021 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students applying to CSU-sponsored programs will be notified of decision within two weeks of application submission. Students applying to non-CSU sponsored programs need to contact their program provider for decision dates.