Live on the edge of the world famous Monteverde cloud forest, while exploring sustainable economic development (Session II), and ecological engineering (Session III). There's no better setting to study these topics than in Costa Rica, a little country with a big reputation for protecting the environment, harnessing renewable energies, and creating secure food systems. You'll discover many treasures during your time abroad in this special country as you explore sustainable fisheries, tourism, conservation, agriculture, or renewable energy.
to farms, island communities, protected areas, renewable power plants, and more.
ATTEND CLASSES IN
Sustainable Development (Session II), or Environmental Engineering (Session III).
LIVE WITH A LOCAL FAMILY,
advance your Spanish skills, and integrate into Costa Rican culture.
Excursions & Activities
- Visit fishing communities on the island of Chira, where locals are leaders in the sustainable fishing industry.
- Get inside access to local decision-makers, business owners, and leaders, for hands-on training in sustainability practices in ecotourism, agriculture, and energy production.
- Try local foods produced on the farms where they are grown.
Help design or manage farm production and waste; contribute to conversations and deliberations on integrated conservation and economic development projects.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Two-day orientation – an introduction to Costa Rica culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer||2021||05/01/2021 **||Rolling Admission||06/15/2021||08/09/2021|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students applying to CSU-sponsored programs will be notified of decision within two weeks of application submission. Students applying to non-CSU sponsored programs need to contact their program provider for decision dates.