Put on your hiking boots and spend January in the progressive mountain community of Monteverde studying Sustainable Development for the Tropics, surrounded by the region’s breathtaking natural scenery. Coursework is taught in English at the CIEE Global Institute - Monteverde and is complemented with immersive co-curricular activities designed to increase intercultural understanding.
LEARN HOW TOURISM
can bring more than new people to a community. As a student, you’ll explore environmental, economic, and social impacts of this powerful force, and come away a more enlightened traveler in the process!
TRAVEL TO A STUNNING NATIONAL PARK
situated squarely in the renewable energy region of Costa Rica. Learn about the controversy that surrounds geothermal energy development and biodiversity conservation.
VISIT THE MONTEVERDE
Cloud Forest Reserve, rich with plants and dripping with mist. This resource is critical not only for the economy of Monteverde but also for the hundreds of plants and animals that call this wet world ‘home’..
Excursions & Activities
- Travel to northwestern Costa Rica to the epicenter of renewable energy production to visit solar, wind, and geothermal plants. Hear from the energy experts about how Costa Rica aims to become carbon neutral.
- Hike in the world-famous Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, and observe cloud forest plants and animals. Insiders will tell you about how these protected areas both conserve biodiversity and contribute to the economy.
- Visit local businesses involved with tourism and learn from residents about their opinions on the good, the bad, and all the rest of tourism development.
- Take a day trip to a local sustainable farm and enjoy a meal of 100% organically-grown food, direct from the fields.
- All meals are included.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- Two- day orientation - an introduction to Costa Rican culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city.
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Cultural and/or Co-curricular Activities
- Excursions and/or Study Tours
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Winter Break||2021||12/01/2020 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students applying to CSU-sponsored programs will be notified of decision within two weeks of application submission. Students applying to non-CSU sponsored programs need to contact their program provider for decision dates.