SFS AUSTRALIA: RAINFORESTS OF NEW ZEALAND AND AUSTRALIA (SUMMER I)
- Term: Summer Session I
- Credits: 4 semester-hour credits (8 credits if taken with Session II)
- Prerequisites: No course prerequisites: 18 years of age
- Application Deadline: Rolling admissions. Early applications encouraged
- Financial Aid: All accepted students can apply for need-based scholarships, grants, and loans
In this dual-country program, study the impacts of environmental and social factors on forest fragmentation in the spectacular, once-vast rainforests of Australia and New Zealand. Compare endangered species management practices, meet with Indigenous communities to learn about their use of forest resources and relationship with the environment, and learn about ecosystem restoration approaches.
- Learn about the Maori people’s connection with nature as you explore the ancient podocarp and Kauri forests of northern New Zealand, which contain trees estimated to be more than 2,000 years old.
Students live and study at the SFS Center for Rainforest Studies. Our Center lies at the end of a narrow, winding road, in the middle of a lush rainforest. The 153-acre property is surrounded by protected World Heritage forests, and you can see incredible wildlife from the front steps of your cabin. Nearby Yungaburra and Cairns provide the occasional return to civilization.
Take back-to-back summer sessions and get the hands-on learning and skill-building experiences of an internship, while also going off the beaten path and exploring the world. Each summer session focuses on a different topic, and you’ll have time to travel independently between sessions. Receive a $1,000 discount on your second session.
CONNECT WITH SFS
Visit the SFS website
Call the Admissions Hotline at 800.989.4418
Read updates from the field on the SFS Blog
Follow SFS on Instagram
Watch student videos on YouTube
SPECIAL CSU INSURANCE NOTE
CSU students attending School for Field Studies programs will be automatically enrolled in additional travel health insurance. This very affordable insurance supplements the gaps, which U.S. insurance plans typical do not cover abroad (including evacuation coverage, out-of-network deductibles/co-pays, etc.). This insurance fee will be included in your CSU RamWeb charges approximately 10 days prior to the term start at CSU. For more information about the insurance benefits and costs, please reference the CSU Education Abroad insurance website