Explore how indigenous peoples in Peru are adapting and innovating to preserve their cultural values and shape their own future in the face of globalization and rapid change.
- Examine the social, economic, political, and cultural impacts of globalization on indigenous peoples.
- Rapidly advance your Spanish and learn introductory Quechua, an indigenous language of the Andean region.
- Learn field research methods and ethics in preparation for your Independent Study Project guided by a local advisor.
- Travel throughout Peru for three weeks.
- See how communities work toward their own community development and cultural preservation in the face of shifting global influences.
Please visit the SIT Study Abroad website for details on program courses (including syllabi), educational excursions, and housing.
During the final four weeks of the program, you can choose to use your new language and cultural skills and the academic knowledge you have acquired to complete an Independent Study Project (ISP) on a topic of interest to you.
- Role of oral histories, legends, and myths in ethnocultural preservation
- Grassroots empowerment
- Ecotourism as a community development model
- Interaction of urban-rural communities
- Generational dynamics in cultural pride and heritage
Key Topics of Study
- Indigenous rights, advocacy, and policy
- Community empowerment
- Identity recognition
- Historical legacies and contemporary social movements
- Impacts of global changes: society, culture, economy, and ecology
Be sure to discuss how study abroad costs are handled at your school with your study abroad advisor.
SIT tuition and room and board fees include the following:
All educational costs, including educational excursions
- All accommodations and meals for the full program duration
- Transportation to and from the airport, and on all educational excursions
- Health and accident insurance
- SIT awards nearly $1.6 million in scholarships and grants annually.
- All scholarships and grants are need-based.
- Awards generally range from $500 to $5,000.
- The SIT Pell Grant Match provides matching grants to all students receiving Federal Pell Grant funding when it is applied to an SIT Study Abroad semester program.
- Contact the financial aid and/or study abroad office(s) at your college or university to learn if your school’s scholarships and grants and federal and state aid programs can be applied to an SIT Study Abroad program.
Contact SIT Study Abroad